designinform
Design Abstracts Retrospective
Design ProFILES
ReVIEW
designinform Research Guides

designinform Digitization Project – Progress Report

Dear Members

I thought you might like to know that our two-year project to digitize most of the major US and European art, architecture and design serial literature published between the 1870s and 1920s for the designinform database ReVIEW is well underway.

In addition to the 35 or so titles already announced, see: http://www.designinform.co.uk/review.htm we will also be digitizing the following titles:

American Art Annual

New York, NY: American Federation of Arts, monthly, 1898- [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1898-1923. Available 2013]

L’Art et les Artistes. Revue Mensuelle d’Art Ancien et Moderne

Paris, France: Au Bureau de 'L'Art et les artistes', monthly, 1905-1939  [The period covered initially by designinform ReVIEW will be 1905-1922. Available 2014]

The digitization will also include many of the special issues produced by l’Art et les Artistes

Design in Modern Industry. The Year Book of the Design & Industries Association

London, England: Ernest Benn Ltd., 1922-24  [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1922-24. Available 2013]

Drawing and Design

London, England: Proprietors of Drawing and Design, monthly, 1920-1926  [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1902-1926. Available 2013]

Dressler’s Kunstjahrbuch / Dressler’s Kunsthandbuch

Berlin: Ernst Wasmuth A.-G., etc.: irregular,1906-1930   [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1906-1921. Available 2012]

Contains biographical information on thousands of contemporary German, Austrian and German-speaking artists, architects and designers not included in Thieme-Becker, Benezit, etc.  Also contains profiles of most of the leading art galleries, museums, art societies, art schools, etc. in Germany and Austria.  Very few libraries, even in Germany, have copies of this invaluable research source. The volumes for 1906-08 were published in Gothic script. We have converted there into modern German script

The Englishwoman’s Domestic Magazine

London, England: S.O. Beeton, etc., monthly, 1852-1879 [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1860-1879. Available 2014]

Femina

Paris: Lafitte et Cie, monthly, 1901-1938 [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1901-1925. Available 2014]

Industrial Arts

London, England: Bernard Jones Publications, quarterly, 1936 [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1936 (all published). Available 2013]

Kunst und Handwerk

Munich: Druck und Verlag R. Oldenbourg, monthly, 1897-1920 [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1897-1920. Available 2013]

Transactions of the National Association for the Advancement of Art and its Application to industry

London England: National Association for the Advancement of Art and its Application to industry, annual, 1889-1891 [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW
will be 1889-1891. Available 2012]

Contains essays by William Morris, Walter Crane, Christopher Whall, J.D. Sedding, C.R. Ashbee, T.J. Cobden-Sanderson, Emery-Walker, W. Holman Hunt, John Brett, Heywood Sumner, Lewis F. Day, Patrick Geddes, Selwyn Image, Stanhope Forbes, , G.F. Watts, A.H. Mackmurdo, Henry Holiday, W.S. Frith, etc.

Wendingen

Amsterdam: MHCHIJ De Hooge Brug, monthly, 1918-1931 [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1918-1925. Available 2013]

Who’s Who in Architecture

London, England: The Architectural Press, irregular, 1914, 1923, 1926 (all published) [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1898-1923. Available 2013]

Only these three volumes published. Invaluable as a source for research on British architects active during the years covered

Who’s Who in British Advertising

London, England: Gainsborough Publishing, 1924-1929 [The period covered initially by designinform ReVIEW will be 1924. Available]

The Year’s Art

London, England: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle & Rivington, annual, 1880-1947 [The period covered by designinform ReVIEW will be 1898-1923. Available 2013-14]

For research on the history of British art during the years covered, this is an indispensable source. Its digitization will formidable challenge

All the titles will be cross-searchable. We are now also adding biographical data on all artists whose work is discussed or illustrated in these publications; translating the titles of articles in foreign journals;  and subject indexing articles and images

We have plans to digitize a number of books and exhibition catalogues on topics that compliment the journals we are digitizing. The first topic we have chosen is The Art of the Poster.  It will include a number of significant titles published between the 1890s and 1920s. Future topics will include International Exhibitions on World’s Fairs, and the Special issues of The Studio magazine.

We will be exhibiting at the forthcoming ARLIS conference in Pasadena and would be pleased to talk to attendees about ideas we have for the future development of designinform and the ReVIEW digitization project   We will be issuing a username and password to enable free access during the run up to and for a period after the conference

Best wishes

Chris

Chris Mees
Editor – designinform
Design Research Publications . Poundsford . Vicarage Lane . Burwash .  East Sussex . England TN19 7JS

T: +44 1435 883950
E:
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
W: http://www.designinform.co.uk