Hello,

I am very happy to announce that the ARLIS/NA Executive Board has approved the formation of the new Graphic Novels Special Interest Group (SIG).

Because graphic novels are becoming a more prevalent topic of study in art and design schools, graphic novel collections are starting to be more common in academic libraries. This creates a need for discussion and sharing of ideas related to graphic novels and graphic novel collections.

Topics for discussion and/or presentation in this SIG can include collection development issues, circulation, processing and display of graphic novels, statistics for support of the collection, preservation, conservation, library related instruction and any other issues that come up with this type of collection or other similar collections. Examples of other collections include comics or other types of sequential art and zines.

The ARLIS/NA members that helped me initiate this SIG are Abigail Sweeney (Massachusetts College of Art and Design), Richard Minsky (Artist and Bibliographer). I also received numerous positive and enthusiastic responses from my informal call for interest on this topic from other subscribers to ARLIS-L.

I will serve as coordinator of the Graphic Novels SIG. If you are interested in joining this group we will be meeting in Pasadena at the ARLIS/NA conference Sunday April 28th from 5:30-6:30pm, location TBA!

http://arlisna2013.sched.org/event/a1f010f8adc5a008685dd3fcef4956b0#.URkrIWc7Bn8

Please let me know if you have any questions for me and I look forward to seeing you in Pasadena!

Thank you,

Tara

~~~~~~

Tara Spies Smith

Reference/Instruction Librarian

Art & Design Librarian

Communication Studies Librarian

Alkek Library

Texas State University - San Marcos

512.245.1636

Check out my blog! ART & DESIGN INFORAMA - http://artinforama.blogspot.com/ - A blog for Art & Design department faculty, students, or anyone interested about new art resources in the library or available on the web. A place to share information about art, artists, design, and designers.