Several weeks ago I asked for ideas for activities to offer at an Open House that we were having at the Murphy Art and Architecture Library at the University of Kansas.

Thanks to my ARLIS/NA colleagues, we got some great suggestions like:

*         a scavenger hunt

*         offer button making

*         distribute bookmarks made from book jackets

*         provide give-aways like books, research consultations, gift certificates

*         have participants make wire sculptures and hang them around the library

What we chose to do was to create a scavenger hunt that required the searchers to go all over the library to find five services or collections using a library floor plan with instructions. We handed out the floor plans as people arrived and they could do the search in any order. At each stop, we had a bag of stickers with a unique design for each stop-the stickers were bought at a dollar store for $1 a bag of 124 stickers in 6 designs.  The searchers had to put the sticker on the floor plan in the correct location and, once they had all 5 stickers, return it to the service desk for a prize.  Our prizes were a choice of a library frisbee, pen, or button-all supplied by our Library Communications/Development Office.

We also had refreshments-cookies/coffee/iced tea-and displays from our collection like pop-up books, regional architecture material, and  DVDs.

Everyone seemed to have a good time and we were able to introduce them to services and collections throughout the library.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.

Susan Craig
Art & Architecture Librarian
Univ. of Kansas