I thought this might be of interest to ARLIS/NA members!

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Boomhower [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 07:49 AM Pacific Standard Time
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MLA-L] Frank Lloyd Wright and music

Dear colleagues,

It is a pleasure to bring to your attention the work of a friend and independent scholar, David Patterson, who has recently produced a CD featuring the music composed by William C. Wright, the grandfather of Frank Lloyd Wright. I encourage you to consider adding this CD to your library's collection. Further details are included below, including ordering information for the CD, which is priced at $20. For those interested, I will have a sample at MLA in San Jose (including a copy in the silent auction). I look forward to seeing many of you there.

Sincerely,
Daniel Boomhower

Newly Released “The Music of William C. Wright” Explores

Little Known Works of Famous Architect’s Father

Through successful Kickstarter funding Chicago music historian

realizes dream of bringing Wright’s music to the masses

Oak Park, Ill.—Feb. 19, 2103— Frank Lloyd Wright often cited music as one the most important influences on his approach to architecture, and his introduction to the craft came early on from his father, composer William C. Wright. Chicago music historian and CD producer David Patterson, who has long been fascinated with the elder Wright’s impact on his son’s genius despite their strained relationship, has released a first-ever recording of William C. Wright’s compositions. These recordings not only illuminate the biographical figure of William Wright but also provide the compelling soundtrack to the tale of a 19th century American musician on an ardent and sometimes lonely 60-year quest for success.

Born of a successful Kickstarter crowd funding campaign, “The Music of William C. Wright” features 21 solo piano and vocal works culled from a nearly 50-year period of 1847-1893. The CD, through Patterson’s extensive research, also features historic photographs and a musical-biographical essay illuminating Wright and his ultimate influence on his famous son.

“As a music historian and Frank Lloyd Wright aficionado, I’ve always been fascinated by the significant influence music had on his masterpieces and the ways in which he invoked music as an ally and guide to working methods,” Patterson said. “His father, William C. Wright, is still a grossly underappreciated force in shaping Frank’s creative method, and I want to enliven the historical conversation by bringing to light William’s creative work while demonstrating how his musical insights seeped into his son’s legacy.”

Patterson conceived of the project idea nearly a year ago, and thanks to the widespread support of contributors to a Kickstarter campaign, was able to make it a reality. As a musician as well as historian, he enlisted the talents of an accomplished group of musicians who bring Wright’s music alive on the CD. They include:

·    Kuang-Hao, piano

·    Daniel Schlosberg, piano

·    Matthew Dean, tenor

·    Laura Lynch, soprano

·    Karl Fogel, accompanist

·    Marie Wang, violin

“I’m thrilled that these exceedingly talented musicians are finally bringing Wright’s music to life, and I’m grateful to the many people who made it possible just to get the project off the ground,” Patterson said. “I want to get the CD into the hands of as many music lovers and admirers of Frank Lloyd Wright as possible and hope it refreshes – and maybe even changes – their own perceptions of William C. Wright, both as a musician and as a presence in Frank’s biography.”

To purchase the CD, please call David Patterson at 312-315-3138 or visit www.permeliarecords.com  (Website to be live on March 1).