We tried this by having a reading room section at the end of the exhibition for about 3 exhibitions.  There were book shelves and a reading table. Books were property of  the library and shelved there, with stickers:

“Property of the Santa Barbara Museum of Art

Do not remove from this room”

It was a huge nuisance for us here in the library, and for the security personnel who counted the books every night at closing & every morning at opening. Those in charge chose to stop the library in the galleries idea, much to my delight.  BUT the museum has a room known as the “Family Resource Center” near our café and store. This part of the Education Department’s responsibilities. It is a family-friendly room with displays relating to the current exhibitions, “games” to play while families look at the art, and books—primarily for young people, and art projects (paper & crayons).  On “Free Thursdays” (5 -8 PM) one of our teaching artists leads family-friendly art projects relating to the exhibit.

Heather Brodhead

Librarian

Constance & George Fearing Library

Santa Barbara Museum of Art                www.sbma.net

1130 State Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101

(805) 884-6451

Library open to the public Tue, Wed, Thu 1-5 PM;

  Librarian's hours 10-noon; 1-5:30 on those days.