I would not disbind bound volumes, especially if older with
potentially deteriorated paper. You don’t mention age, but I’m
referencing the eBay comment.

During the binding process folds/edges will have been cut reducing margins.
Once disbound you will have loose pages or groups thereof.
Rebinding will involve trimming again and further reducing margins.
Depending on paper, the binder may have issues too.

Costs:
Internal to disbind and repair (if needed) Internal to recollate… Ca.
$10-$25 to rebind depending on style. No idea what things cost in CA
so this is based on our costs.

Alternatives:
Display one spread from each BOUND volume Create digital images from
internal pages and print out for display if other pages from from same
volume. If you really wanted you could even create dummy magazines
(Potemkin’s villages).

You might also be able to borrow some of these issues from other
libraries at which they might not be bound, or even individuals.

But, no. Do not disbind. Creates a mess and could be precedent setting.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen
Head of Preservation and Conservation