Hello Everyone,
I have a technician that has been with our library since the 1970s. He knows the collection by heart, and periodically he identifies titles he feels are likely out-of-print, and searches for their current price on sites such as Alibris and Abe Books. I don't know what the library will do when he retires -- he is a wealth of institutional, tacit knowledge, and a testament to his profession.
I also look at the back lists of the book dealers we use, and follow the ARLIS-L listserv for any announcements on prices of out-print-titles, and check them against the catalogue holdings. I wish there was a more streamlined and systematized process of doing this (such as a database). I'm sure there are many titles we miss.
We pull the expensive, out-of-print titles from circulation and put them into our protected collection. They can only be accessed on weekdays from 9am-5pm, and used only in the library. Patrons are still free to photocopy and scan them.
Unfortunately, the maximum replacement cost for a lost or damaged item is set by the central libraries at the University of Toronto. It does mean for architecture monographs we take a loss for items whose replacement cost is above that set amount.

Effie Patelos, MI, BArch, BES

Librarian

Shore + Moffat Library

John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design

University of Toronto

230 College Street

Toronto ON M5T 1R2

T 416 978 6787