Hello Alison,

We have incorporated like spaces at Crystal Bridges Museum.  We call them “Reflection Areas.” I attached images for you.  The first image is Reflection Area #1, the second two images are Reflection Area #2, and the last two are Reflection Area #3.  All three areas have books and similar furniture but somewhat different configurations depending on the space. We also have two Ipad stations in each area.  The third reflection area is most flexible and at times has been used as private dining, extended exhibition space, and temporary exhibition space. The titles somewhat correspond to the galleries that are closest to them. We also offer children’s art books. I believe I started with a little over 300 books for all the rooms.  All of the rooms are very well used and guests spend quite a lot of time purusing the books.

The library manages the spaces and we train volunteers to make the rounds straightening them once a day. The books are purchased from a Reflection Area budget line and not catalogued.  We created a label for each book asking that guests leave it in the area for others to enjoy. So far, with over 640,000.00 visitors this past year, the books have held up very well!

I hope that helps.  Please contact me if you have any questions.

Catherine Petersen
Library Director
600 Museum Way

Bentonville, AR 72712

479-418-5748 (direct)
479-418-5700 (main)

CrystalBridges.org

Art & Books
Without a doubt I must read all the books I’ve read about. See the artworks hung on hooks, that I have only seen in books.
Lang Leav