Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Hi All- Truly a fluid situation, to build upon what Anne has written. Really what is of concern in this conversation is cost and availability. Currently, high cost does not always even promise availability. There are a significant and slowly growing number of "sellers" whose earthly presence is reflected by a hard-drive on a server somewhere that gathers data, applies a substantial multiplier (to the price it reads) and re-distributes it to the various search engines as new and unique data for the unitiated. These particular books , in many cases, simply do not exist. My hunch is that if you ordered one of these books from one of these sellers, the recipient of the order would then hunt down a copy of this book for you (if possible) and have it drop-shipped. At a hefty profit. It is another form of spam. A lengthy and very interesting treatise on the current pricing model for used and OP books could be written. And maybe enjoyed by a nominal number of interested parties. What is rare one day is not the next, but then rare again in a month. Several website search engines offer sellers the option to have their prices automatically adjusted to stay competitive in the market place. This takes the seller out of the equation, really. I could simply submit my data, provide a few parameters, and rely on the marketplace entirely for whatever return I might enjoy at any given point in time. Fascinating and provocative all at once. I could almost employ a monkey to do data entry and not need the ability to reason for pricing my wares. This is one reason prices are becoming so dynamic. It makes appraisals more difficult. Prices go up; prices go down. Much more could be written. A great topic though and just one of many which can be discussed in Pasadena! Kevin Mullen, Bookseller On 1/29/2013 12:28 PM, Anne Haas wrote: > The other thing to remember is that sometimes the op prices are high > and then they go down.-have had that happen-years ago all our Nicholas > Nixon photo books seemed to walk away—in a non-circ library!!..when I > checked replacement costs I about dropped--$750 for one item. We did > not order—and eventually the books did come back, but also, I noticed, > the prices went way down-- > > In any case, trying to catch all the things in an art library that go > out of print, or needed to be sent to some more secure place, would be > a full time job in itself. Make a wish list from one of the dealers > you use, keep an eye on the prices, and see if they come down. Very > fluid situation… > > Anne > > From: Julian Woodruff <[log in to unmask] > > > Reply-To: Julian Woodruff <[log in to unmask] > > > Date: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:55 AM > To: ARLIS <[log in to unmask] > > Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Identifying Expensive, Out-of-print Books > > Thanks! A good q for posting answers to the list! > > Julian D. Woodruff > > Librarian > > Gerald Hansen Library > > CROCKER ART MUSEUM > > 216 O Street > > Sacramento, CA 95814 > > direct 916.808.8856 > > fax 916.808.7372 > > [log in to unmask] > > *From:* ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] *On Behalf Of > *Heather Gillanders > *Sent:* Monday, January 28, 2013 12:55 PM > *To:* [log in to unmask] > *Subject:* [ARLIS-L] Identifying Expensive, Out-of-print Books > > Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues: > > I am doing some research for our head of collections here at > University of Washington Bothell on how to go about identifying books > within our collection that are now out-of-print and, for that reason, > have increased in value. I can imagine that this is quite an issue > with art monographs in particular, so I'm wondering if you or your > institution might have a process in place to identify these books. > > We had an incident here recently where a student returned a book that > was significantly damaged and not salvageable, and when we looked at > the current price it was something like $600, as it was no longer in > print (but our standard fee for damaged books is significantly less). > We’d like to avoid this in the future and instead send books such as > these to our Special Collections unit in Seattle, but we’re not sure > how best to go about identifying these books in our collection. > > Any ideas or advice would be most welcome! > > All the best, > > > Heather Gillanders, MFA, MLIS > > Research & Instruction Librarian > > UW Libraries, Bothell Campus Library > > Serving UW Bothell and Cascadia Community College > > > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] > For information about joining > ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative > matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to > [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L > Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org > Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: > [log in to unmask] > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] > For information about joining > ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative > matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to > [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L > Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org > Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: > [log in to unmask] > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] > For information about joining > ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative > matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to > [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L > Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org > Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: > [log in to unmask] > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~