There is the other side of this -- reporting stolen books, so dealers,
curators and collectors can be aware and on the lookout if they come to
market.

Two of many places to do this:

ILAB: http://www.stolen-book.org/
ABAA: http://hq.abaa.org/books/antiquarian/databases/stolen_search.html

It's also good to note copy-specific anomalies while cataloging, such as
internal repairs, defects, etc. as these can prove it was your copy in
case the book is disbound for plates and your library stamp has been
excised.

--
Richard
http://minsky.com