Somehow I managed to copy the same reply 4 or 5 times in my last email and left out a bunch of others. So, here are the rest:

Wow. Not sure that I can assist w/ additional subject headings and search terms but my first reaction was, "These guys totally belong on My Daguerreotype Boyfriend."

http://mydaguerreotypeboyfriend.tumblr.com/

Karen, we have a student who's doing a senior project on "the dandy" -although fops and dandies might be too tasteful for what your student is looking for. :-)

The dean of our art college, Christopher Sharrock, might be able to assist. He has a blog: http://sharrock.wordpress.com/

For subject headings, there's also men's clothing.

This is interesting:
http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201210/throwback-plaid-jackets-gq-october-2012

Has the student researched Dandyism? It seems it was initiated in Britain/France (e.g. see Beau Brummel and Oscar Wilde) in the early-mid 1800s but had influences in mens' fashion for sometime thereafter.

Some starter sources to consider:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/dandies-fashion-and-finesse-in-art-and-culture/oclc/45326508&referer=brief_results
http://www.worldcat.org/title/mens-fashion-reader/oclc/271812061&referer=brief_results

When I saw your posting, I immediately thought of a few titles we've carried with "Dandy" or "Peacock" in the title. Did a quick scan of titles on our Web site under the subject heading "costume/fashion," and searching against that list for certain keywords and strings I came up with the short list attached.

Some of these titles more clearly relate to the researcher's interest than others, and the list also includes titles dealing with more contemporary examples of "dandyism" in men's fashion. Perhaps none of these focuses exactly on what the researcher has in mind (or are perhaps mostly titles that he or she has already identified), but thought I would share the list with you nonetheless in case there's any information here that might be of use. The second-to-last title on the list, a forthcoming title from Yale University Press (the catalogue for a show opening at RISD in April) might be particularly relevant.

I also thought of another title that might be of interest, as it touches on the topic of dandyism while examining the evolution of black as the predominant color for men's fashions beginning in the 19th century:

MEN IN BLACK.
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Reaktion Books (1997)
Language: English
ISBN-13: 978-0948462740

[at RISD] we have the Berg Fashion Library available online which would be an excellent source to search. A subject heading such as men's clothing--history or, clothing and dress--Europe--history in our catalog would bring her to several potentially good sources. Another really good source is the book 20,000 years of fashion: the history of costume and personal adornment / Francois Boucher (REF. GT510 .B6713 1987). Just browsing the GT section in main and oversize would also lead to good material. It sounds like a great topic. I hope this is helpful.

Karen A. Bouchard
Scholarly Resources Librarian for Art and Architecture
Rockefeller Library, Box A
10 Prospect Street
Brown University
Providence, RI 02912  USA

Phone: (401) 863-3218

http://libguides.brown.edu/profile.php?uid=56435

Images at Brown blog, latest entry: https://sites.google.com/a/brown.edu/image-collections-in-the-brown-library/new-entries/apocalypse

Art and architecture news: @BrownImageBlog

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero.