Dear CW,
I have to ask a q that will probably make experienced catalogers roll their eyes. Before me is Vermeule's Greek and Roman sculpture in America : masterpieces in public collections in the United States and Canada. My record (LC) & at least one other for this book have no fewer than 8 650 0s, all of which have the subdivision PRIVATE COLLECTIONS. What is the rationale here? Is there some point in AACR2 I'm unaware of?
Thanks for any demystification.

Julian D. Woodruff
Librarian
Gerald Hansen Library