Like many museums, we do lots of public programming - lectures, performances, readings, etc. - that is video-recorded. Typically, two copies on DVD come to the library, are catalogued, and made available for public viewing in-library or staff checkout. We do not currently post things on YouTube or our website for viewing. I need to make clear: these are videos produced in-house by staff on staff time, not professionally produced video that one could buy through a store.

We are now starting to receive more and more requests for copies of (and many are asking to purchase) these DVDs.

If you deal with requests for institutionally-produced video materials, do you have policies around when you will or will not make copies for educational use? Do you charge for this service? How do you prepare the materials (in case, not in case, DVD sleeve, etc.)?

I do not know specifics about the content of speaker/performer contracts, but feel certain relinquishing of video rights is not included currently.

I would welcome any comments on this subject.

Thank you,
Traci

Traci Timmons, M.A., M.L.I.S.
Librarian, Dorothy Stimson Bullitt Library
Seattle Art Museum
1300 First Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone: 206-654-3220
Web: http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/Learn/Library/SAM.asp

The Bullitt Library is open to the public: Wednesday - Friday, 10 am - 4pm