FW: News from Scholars Resource
Scholars Resource has come home

It was in the gardens of the Ancient Spanish Monastery in Miami in 2005 that we announced the formation of Scholars Resource: an entity to license images from vendors beyond the initial two: Saskia Ltd. and Davis Art Images. We would license images in perpetuity and provide faculty with a generous library of digital files for teaching to rely on, immune to subtle changes in budgets and available to all faculty and students affiliated with the university or museum. In these eight years, we have increased the number of vendors (sources of images) to sixteen and the overall number of images offered to close to 250,000.

We now have made another important change. Todd Keener has left the company and I am taking Scholars Resource back to Portland, ME. A technical team has been assembled to assist in our continuing effort to advance the technology and make Scholars Resource more accessible and relevant to reflect the changing times.

It would be easy for us to be discouraged in light of the increasing availability of free images from more museums, of ARTstor extending its reaches, of free online courses, of part-time faculty looking to license images (frustrated under our current policy), of seemingly decreasing desirability of high-quality images and, of course, of diminishing budgets. I have witnessed many ups and downs in the slide business and in the initial years of changing to digital...and still many of our dedicated clients believe in building their collection, in many cases in addition to ARTstor. Our community is large and its needs vary. We want to be there for all those who continue to see value in enriching and securing their collection with images from Scholars Resource.

We welcome your suggestions and/or ideas and please check out our website at www.scholarsresource.com, if you have not visited us in a while. A list of our current vendors includes:
Archivision
Asian Art Museum of San Francisco
Bridgeman Library
Canyonlights Photography
Davis Art Imges
Hartill Art Associates
Inter-American Institute, Dr. James Bartholomay Kiracofe
Kenneth Garrett
Max Ferguson
Museum of Fine Arts Boston
Saskia Ltd.