Over the years, we have selectively acquired thesis and dissertations in our chief subject areas, and that practice continues, recognizing the great research value of this material. I’m canvassing mainly art museum librararies who have a history of acquiring hard copy theses and dissertations to learn if any of you have changed your collecting policies in light of availability of this material in digital format.

In a nutshell, I invite your responses to the following questions:

·         Do you acquire theses and dissertations? At what level, i.e. how comprehensively?

·         If you are acquiring digital copies of theses and dissertations from a commercial source, how do you make them available to your patrons? Are you keeping copies for internal use/backup? Do you print out a service copy for patron and interlibrary loan purposes?

·         Do you subscribe or are you considering a subscription to the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Database, which provides access to full text PDFs of theses and dissertations?

Thanks!

Samuel Duncan

Library Director

Amon Carter Museum of American Art

3501 Camp Bowie Blvd., Fort Worth, TX 76107

t. 817.989.5042  f. 817.989.5039

www.cartermuseum.org