This may be of interest to some of the more senior members of ARLIS: This past Sunday, reading my local Sunday paper, The New Mexican, a name associated with ARLIS/NA caught my eye.  Could it be? Could this Phyllis Cohen be the Phyllis Cohen I used to see every year at the ARLIS conference?  It was.

Phyllis Cohen, who became one of ARLIS/NA's 10 charter members in 1972, was featured in a large, illustrated article in the Sunday edition of Santa Fe's newspaper of record, The New Mexican.  After serving as librarian at the New Mexico Museum of Art from 1986 - 1994, she retired and moved back to Albuquerque, where she had been an art librarian at the University of New Mexico (1974 - 1978).  Before that, as some ARLIS folks may remember, she worked at the Avery library at Columbia, then the art and music division of the Brooklyn Public Library, and then was at the Cooper Union School of Art and Architecture for seven years.  (She was born in Brooklyn and grew up in New York City.)  In between, she made art and was exhibited in the U.S. and in Europe--and she travelled as often and lived for as long as possible in Paris.  Well, here, read the article for yourself: http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Opinion/112512anapacheco.  The article is part of an interesting regular Sunday series written by local journalist, Ana Pacheco, about "our community elders."

Joan