Dear Colleagues,

As we remember Wolfgang’s intellectual brilliance, his generosity to students and his  many contributions to the field of art historiography and art librarianship, we should add that his influence on the international scene was highly significant.   His personal and cultural background  had informed the way in which he practised his chosen profession and the range of his scholarly activities.  His chairmanship of the International Relations Committee, his network of world-wide contacts and his encouragement of younger colleagues to engage intensely with international work are just some of the many contributions he has made to the field. I was one of the many colleagues he had encouraged and mentored to think and work globally and I will always be grateful to him. Wolfgang was one of us but, as they say in Britain, he was also ‘one off.’

Warmest regards

Irena

Dr Irena Murray FRSA

Sir Banister Fletcher Director and Director of Research

British Architectural Library

Royal Institute of British Architects

66 Portland Place

London W1B 1AD