Hello Collective Wisdom,

I'm in charge of my library's permanent art collection. We have art in storage, as well as on display through the library's branches across the city. This coming year I have to have an appraisal done, and as part of this, I need to look at improving our management of the collection and record keeping. Currently we have an Excel spreadsheet that list all the information about the piece and it's current location. I will also have to re-photograph all the pieces.

Has anyone else gone through this and implemented a management system for art collections? Do you have any suggestions, advice, or possible readings to suggest? Has anyone else catalogued the art to appear in the library catalogue?

Please reply off list.

Thanks!

Leah Bruce
Fine Arts Librarian