Hi Rachel,

There is an article in Journal of Canadian Art History; 2004, Vol. 25, p100-125, 26p by Lisa Panayotidis on the history and founding of the Department of Art at the University of Toronto.

Of note is the paragraph that starts with: "If Cody [the President of the University of Toronto] showed little interest in an academic with established ideas and temperament, he apparently had no intention of hiring a woman for the Chair of Fine Art".

Hope this helps,

Margaret

 If Cody showed little interest in an academic with established ideas and temperament, he apparently had no intention of hiring a woman for the Chair of Fine Art