Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to inform you that the annual meeting of the College Book Art Association (CBAA) will be taking place in New Haven, CT, on January 4 & 5, 2013. For those not familiar with the organization, CBAA (http://www.collegebookart.org/) is a non-profit organization committed to the teaching of book art at the college and university level. The Association strives to support education about book art, including both the practice and analysis of the medium. It welcomes as members everyone involved in teaching and all others who have similar goals and interests. In addition to the educational community of teachers and students, our nearly 500 members include academic librarians, curators, independent scholars, museum professionals, international private collectors, and practicing artists.

The 2013 annual meeting theme of "Art from Artifact: Teaching and Learning from the Object" encourages the exploration of how teaching and learning from objects can benefit book arts education.  The meeting program starts on Friday with a day-long celebration of the object, including a series of tours of various research and education spaces at Yale University, as well as the historic campus itself.  We will end the day with a reception at the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.  Saturday's program will start with a keynote address by William Drenttel and Jessica Helfand of Winterhouse Institute.  The schedule will also include morning and afternoon break-out sessions, the annual general meeting, committee meetings, and a coffee hour hosted by the CBAA President. The 2013 annual meeting will conclude with a social hour at a local brew pub featuring New Haven style "apizza."

As CBAA is a member-driven organization, conferences are for current members.  However, anyone interested in the book arts can become a member.  Membership benefits include:

*             Attendance at the CBAA annual meeting

*             Subscription to the CBAA Newsletter and the CBAA Journal (beginning in 2013)

*             Access to shared information about pedagogy from other members and programs

*             Eligibility to participate in the Annual Juried Members Exhibition

*             Eligibility for CBAA awards, grants, and stipends

*             And more...

Details about the upcoming annual meeting and information about registration can be found at the CBAA web site.  http://www.collegebookart.org/  Or link directly to the registration form at:

http://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1136155

Registration closes on December 1, 2012.

I encourage you to share this information widely.  We hope to see you in New Haven in January.  Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Sincerely,

Jae Jennifer Rossman

Chair, Planning Committee

Assistant Director for Special Collections
Robert B. Haas Family Arts Library
Yale University
180 York Street
New Haven, CT 06520