CHArt 28TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE

Display: Consume: Respond - Digital Engagement with Art Thursday 15 - Friday 16 November 2012 The Association of Art Historians, 70 Cowcross Street, London EC1M 6EJ www.aah.org.uk

This year's conference will look at how new developments in information and communications technology affect the ways in which we engage with art. New forms of digital display or emerging modes of viewing art may have profound effects on both our understanding of the artwork itself (the way we consume it) and our ability or appetite for describing, curating and managing it (how we respond to it).

The morning session on Friday 16th is at the Free World Centre, 60 Farringdon Road, London EC1R 3GA

Thursday, November 15
    09.00       Registration (Tea & coffee)

    09.30       Neil Grindley (CHArt) Welcome & Introduction
    09.35       Consuming the Long Tail, Chris Bailey (Emeritus Professor Faculty of Arts and Society, Leeds Met University)

    10.15       Helene Roberts Bursary Awards

Engagement

    10.20      Exploring New Models for Mobile Learning in Museums, Shelley Mannion et al (British Museum & partners)

    10.45       Hacking Art History, Oonagh Murphy (Centre for Media Research, University of Ulster)

    11.10      Tea & coffee

    11.30      Jana Wedekind (IN2 Search Interfaces Development Ltd.)
    insidAR - Augmenting physical works of a museum/gallery with digital information

    11.55      Using Digital Technology to Enhance and Enrich Visitor Experience in Exhibition Spaces, Ashley John Wheat (Middlesex University)

    12.20      Encouraging Reflexivity in Mobile Interactions, Deborah Maxwell & Mel Woods (Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, Dundee)

    12.45      Buffet lunch (provided) + demonstrations

Virtualisation & Data

    13.30       The Virtual Museum – the concept and transformation, Anna Bentkowska (Department of Digital Humanities, King’s College London)

    13.55      Things that we thought were straightforward when we started 3D scanning, Annemarie LaPensée et al (Conservation Technologies, National Museums Liverpool)

    14.20      Visualising Neolithic Orkney: digital dwelling at Skara Brae,   Alice Watterson et al (Glasgow School of Art)

    14.45      Tea & coffee

Curation & Aesthetics

    15.00      User-Interface-Art, Ruth Alexandra Moran (Arts Technology Research Laboratory, Trinity College Dublin)

    15.25        ‘Fair was the web, and nobly wrought’: Digital curation and the Pre-Raphaelites, Madeleine Pearce (Birkbeck College)

    15.50       Documenting modern art: Mycelium data base systems, V. Mom & G. Koert (Digital Preservations Projects Foundation)

Learning

    16.15      State-of-the-Art: German Museum Education on the Social Web,     Bianca Bocatius (Researcher)

    16.40     Brooklyn’s Museums and Libraries Collaborate to Grow the Arts and Information Digital Landscape, Tula Giannini (School of Information and library Science, Pratt Institute)

    17.05     Discussion and Reception – finish 18.30

(Dinner at a local restaurant will be organized for those wishing to dine in a group)

Friday 16th November

    Please note **MORNING Session is at the Free Word Centre, 60 Farringdon Road, London EC1R 3GA**

    09.00     Tea & coffee

Crowdsourcing & Democratisation

    09.30     The Your Paintings Tagger - theory and practice, Andrew Greg (University of Glasgow)

    09.55      The Democratic and The Algorithmic: Art in the Age of Post-Fordist Immaterial Consumption/Production, Kevin Day (University of British Columbia, Vancouver)

    10.20     Flickering Transmissions and Insecure Provenance: Valuating the Back(ground) of Electronic Fanart, Skyler Hijazi (King’s College, London)

    10.45    Tea & Coffee

Practice

    11.00     Ellie Harrison: A Discussion of Consumption, Body Image and Digital Media, Guillaume Vandame (School of Oriental & African Studies)

    11.25      New Poetic Associations: Location, Instruction and Re-appropriation, Joanne Marie Clements (University of Salford)

    11.50      The use of custom co-configurators open source development and content creators in our (//benitez_vogl) collaborative praxis, Markus Vogl & Margarita Benitez (Myers School of Art, University of Akron)

    12.15      The Digital Quill: Inspiring Creativity through Design, Mel Woods et al, (Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, Dundee)

    12.40     (10 min) Walk to the Association of Art Historians (70 Cowcross Street) for lunch

    13.00    Buffet lunch (provided)

    14.00    CHArt Directions (strategy and AGM – all delegates are welcome to attend)

Location & Dislocation

    14.30     Art Maps, Gabriella Giannachi et al (University of Exeter)

    14.55     The Autonomous Digital Image: An Investigation of Independence in Virtual Art Collections, Cassiope Sydoriak (University of Oxford)

    15.20      Space and Place: rethinking the online presence of an artist’s archive for Kyffin Williams Online at the National Library of Wales, Gareth Lloyd Roderick (Aberystwyth University/National Library of Wales)

    15.45    Concluding Discussion

    16.00    Close

Booking information, a draft programme and paper abstracts are available online at http://www.chart.ac.uk/chart2012/.

Deadline for reduced rates: 15 October 2012

Rates:

CHArt Member: 2 days £120 (£100 before 15 Oct 2012; 1 day £80 (£70 before 15 Oct 2012)

Non-member: 2 days £160 (£140 before 15 Oct 2012); 1 day £110 (£100 before 15 Oct 2012)

CHArt Student Member: 2 days £65 (£45 before 15 Oct 2012); 1 day £45 (£35 before 15 Oct 2012)

Student Non-member: 2 days £85 (£65 before 15 Oct 2012); 1 day £55 (£45 before 15 Oct 2012)
Marlene Gordon
Visual Resources Curator
University of Michigan-Dearborn