This is all good to know Emilie.  It will be very interesting to see if any other courses in the 2013-14 course catalog resemble library courses that might prepare one for a career in, e.g., rare books, archives, conservation, children and young people's services, service to the elderly and home-bound, cataloging (excuse me, that must fall under "computing").  Will all of these skills be fit into courses focused on specific subject disciplines?  Will any courses still be offered that will focus on types of libraries (public, academic, special)?  When will the course catalog for the merged school appear?  Has this type of merger happened at any other "library" schools?  Have any articles on the subject been published?  --Joan
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Emilee Mathews
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Fw: IU trustees approve merger of schools of informatics, library and information science

Hi all,

I have received some questions about what the merger means for our Art Librarianship specialization and MA/MLS dual degree program at IU, so I thought I would take this opportunity to let you know what's going on at ground level.

I spoke to Dean Shaw about the matter, and she assured me that SLIS would be carrying all of the current dual degrees and specializations forward in the merger, and what's more, the Informatics people think the specializations are an interesting way to broaden their scope.

In addition to serving as the Interim Director of the Fine Arts Library (my term ends June 30, 2013), I am also serving as the Interim Advisor of the MA/MLS and Art Librarianship Specialization program. In Spring 2013, I will be co-teaching the Art Librarianship seminar with Erika Dowell, Public Services Librarian at Lilly Library and a graduate of the Art Librarianship program.

So while there are some interesting changes afoot, I wanted to assure you that the art dual degree and specialization is still going strong, and that we have a very accomplished cohort of dual degree and specialization students brimming with potential--the best sign of a successful program.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Best,
Emilee Mathews