ARLIS/NA/NW Annual Meeting: Hidden Gems of Portland

Please join us for two days of fun and adventure in Portland as we explore
some hidden (and some not-so-hidden) gems of the Rose City.

Friday, October 19th

Reed College (11 am)

Our meeting begins at Reed College in Southeast Portland where we’ll meet,
see the sights, and have a close look at one of the finest collections
of artists’
books <http://cdm.reed.edu/cdm4/artbooks/> in the region. While most of us
will elect to drive directly to Reed, there will also be a carpooling group
meeting in downtown Portland at 10:15. Attached please find a campus map of
Reed. The East parking lot is closest to the library; we’ll meet in the
lobby. If you need to renew your chapter membership or join up as a student
or affiliate member you are welcome to pay with a check at the meeting.

·      Library tour

·      Artists’ Book Collection

·      Business meeting

·      Lunch (1 pm)

Portland Art Museum (3 pm)

After lunch we'll carpool to the Portland Art Museum, where we'll be
treated to a behind-the-scenes look at collection storage areas and visit
with Registrar Noelle McClure. Next we'll have a guided tour of Mythologia:
Gods, Heroes and Monsters <http://www.portlandartmuseum.org/mythologia>.
Admission is free but doesn't cover the Body Beautiful in Ancient Greece
exhibit.

·      Free admission ($5 extra to visit Body Beautiful--upgrade ticket
after group entry)

·      Guided tour from Curator of Graphic Arts Mary Weaver Chapin, Ph.D.

·      Collection storage tour with Registrar Noelle McClure

Happy Hour at Southpark, right across from the Portland Art Museum (4:30
pm)

Open to non-members! This is a chance for us to meet over drinks in an
informal setting. You are welcome to bring guests. Hopefully some local
library school students will join in the fun.

Saturday, October 20th

U of O Portland <http://pdx.uoregon.edu/> (9:30-10:30 am)

We'll start on Saturday with a tour of the recently re-purposed space at
the historic White Stag Building, now occupied by the University of Oregon.
We'll see the library there, which supports the architecture, strategic
communication, business administration, multimedia journalism, digital arts
and product design programs in Portland.

·      Tour Library and Facility

Gallery walk

Next, we'll tour established galleries in the Pearl District to see a
wonderful variety of artwork from local, regional and national artists of
renown.

·      Elizabeth Leach Gallery (10:45 am), where work by Stephen Hayes and
Whitney Biennial participant MK Guth will be on display.

·      PDX Contemporary (11:00 am), where we'll view work by Brooklyn
artist Marie Watt.

·      Froelick Gallery (11:30 am), where All and Nothing, by Victor
Maldonado will be displayed.

·      Blue Sky Gallery (11:45 am), where we can see provocative
photographic prints of vacuum-sealed couples by Photographer Hal.

Lunch (12-1:30 pm)

Dine at any of several options in Portland Pearl District. We've included
some good choices on our map.

Museum of Contemporary Craft (1:30 pm)

After lunch we'll visit the Museum of Contemporary Craft where we'll
view Design
the the Other 90%: CITIES <http://mocc.pnca.edu/exhibitions/5334/> and
Reflecting
on Erik Gronberg <http://mocc.pnca.edu/exhibitions/5333/>, and meet
Associate Curator Sarah Margols-Pineo.

·      Free admission

·      Guided tour from Associate Curator Sarah Margolis-Pineo

Augen Gallery (2:30 pm), where we'll see works by George Johanson and Naomi
Nagita in one of Portland's most revered galleries.

PNCA (3:15 pm)

Our last stop is the Pacific Northwest College or Art <http://www.pnca.edu/>,
where we'll tour the facilities and have a look at some exciting new
developments in the library, including plans for a brand new library in a
re-purposed federal building, seven blocks away. We'll also have a look at
Mimi, PNCA's homegrown institutional repository software.

·      Library Tour

·      Mimi presentation

A note on transportation: we’ll be working together to facilitate
carpooling, which will be needed, especially on Friday as we travel from
Reed to the Portland Art Museum. If you have room in your car or need a
ride, please contact our transportation coordinator, Susan Gilman (
[log in to unmask]). Susan can also help with transportation for those
who have difficulty walking more than half a mile and don’t have a car.

We’ve also created a Google
map<https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=205281327044020365930.0004ca2a4cbe081378b23&msa=0&ll=45.526013,-122.678061&spn=0.012658,0.027874>,
which shows the locations of the sites on our itinerary, and selected
hotels and restaurants. Have a look!

Come join the fun! Please RSVP to Dan McClure ([log in to unmask]) by the
12th if you are planning on attending so we have an idea of the size of our
group. Thanks!

--
Dan McClure, MLIS
Director of Library Services