Dear Knowledgeable Ones,

An MFA student has asked for information about Lindberg (no other name available) Heilige Schutzengel (guardian angel.) There seem to be at least three variants of the sentimental image, which feature a blond female angel keeping children, dressed in folkloric German peasant costumes, from harm: from falling through a broken plank on a rickety bridge or falling off a cliff. I have no resources that might help her. (Our Thieme Becker and Benezit are in storage during a prolonged renovation project.) I checked Oxford Art Online, Art Index, Art Index Retrospective, BHA, Historical Abstracts, Soc Index and so on. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Linda Zieper
Arts Librarian
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth