Our library considers, on a yearly basis, a subscription to Arts & Humanities Citation Index, as we DO subscribe to Science Citation Index and Social Sciences Citation Index and some of their accompanying backfiles.  Every time subscription to A & H Citation Index comes up for a vote by our electronic resources committee, however, someone on the committee says that “almost all the material in A & H Citation Index is covered in the Social Sciences Citation Index.”  And it seems like there is a lot of overlap…

We are a library serving three institutions of higher education:  a community college and two universities, including the University of Colorado Denver, each of which has a robust art, art history, and graphics design program.  In addition, the University of Colorado Denver’s College of Architecture and Planning offers degrees from the bachelors through the doctorate level.

Does anyone have any information or opinions about why a library supporting various art programs should seriously consider subscribing to all THREE parts of the “Web of Knowledge,” and not just rely on the Social Sciences Citation Index to “cover” the Arts and Humanities, particularly the Arts?  BTW, I am not able to attend the yearly voting meetings to pitch A & H Citation Index in person, though I can and do submit written justifications along with my yearly request.  I just haven’t been able to overcome that “overlap” objection.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

Linda

Linda D. Tietjen, Senior Instructor

Collection Development Librarian/Arts & Architecture

Auraria Library

1100 Lawrence St.

Denver, Colorado   80204