Hi Karen.

Below is a description of the duties of a typical Liaison Librarian at the University of Toronto.

Some of my subject liaison colleagues in the large main campus library have more of a challenge connecting with faculty because they are not associated with a particular department.  As you know, the Art Department here still has it's own departmental library (an ever-increasing rarity) which is situated amongst faculty offices and graduate seminar rooms.  I see faculty every day all day, and yes, much of it is in a social context, LOL.

I frequently talk to faculty about their research activities and courses and encourage them to suggest publications for the library.  Similarly, I inform them when something new and  interesting in their particular field is available.

This interaction is both formal (I attend faculty meetings) and informal (I attend some of their social events) and is CRUCIAL to the development of the library and it's collection.  Social media is not involved (formally). Larry-the-Poodle is FaceBook friends with some faculty.

In addition to providing them with subject-specific embedded information literacy sessions for their classes, I also assist faculty in mounting materials on BlackBoard (our virtual learning environment and course management system), answering inquiries about copyright, etc.

Also, any difficult Fine Art related queries that are received by library staff in other campus libraries are forwarded to me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Margaret

Responsibilities of Faculty Liaison Librarians

In general terms, the Faculty Liaison Librarian is the primary contact person for faculty in their designated subject area.  Faculty is understood to include all academic hires, including lecturers, research associates etc.  The Faculty Liaison Librarian will be listed as the primary contact person on the web and in publications such as the Faculty Resource Guide.

It is important to clarify that although there is a primary contact person for each subject area, all librarians will continue to provide public service in all subject areas taking the opportunity to teach or provide reference service etc. in any subject they choose, and referring only if appropriate.

Responsibilities:

1.      As contact person for a subject area, the Faculty Liaison Librarian will respond to faculty requests.  Questions may be referred to staff on the Contact List, with  appropriate follow-up to ensure that the faculty member received the help that was needed.

2.      Liaisons will regularly contact key faculty members and departmental staff:  Chairs of Departments or Directors of Programs, Centers etc., as well as with Directors of Graduate and Undergraduate Programs and others.

3.      The Faculty Liaison Librarian will make contact with new faculty within weeks of being identified as the contact person in the Chief Librarian’s welcoming letter, offering assistance and letting the faculty member know they are available when help is needed.

4.      The Faculty Liaison Librarian will be active in other outreach activities.  Each individual will select what they feel is most appropriate and manageable in their own situation.  In other words it is expected that individual Faculty Liaison Librarians will be proactive in different ways.

5.      Faculty Liaison Librarians will meet regularly to:
* explore options for proactive outreach – discussing why as well as what to do
*  find solutions to practical how to questions e.g. “What do I say when I phone the new faculty member?”.