A follow-up to my response as well.  We also serve as the art library
for a local university (my library is actually located in the
university's art building located on the museum campus).  Part of our
collecting is focused on less "research" oriented books that are more
accessible to patrons such as students and members and those are the
books we circulate.  We don't circulate outside of the museum, books
such as catalogues raisonnés, rare etc.   In my few years here, I've
also never actually encountered a curator needing what a non-museum
staff patron has checked out, they tend to check out different types of
materials.  Our first priority is our museum staff, but we haven't had
trouble keeping to that while also circulating materials.  We also have
a decent sized membership but not a lot of people take advantage of the
privilege, and those that do really are quite good patrons.  As Heather
mentioned, our permanent staff are our more delinquent!

Alison L. Huftalen
Head Librarian

419.255.8000 ext. 7386

Toledo Museum of Art
PO Box 1013
Toledo, Ohio 43697

>>> "Brodhead, Heather" <[log in to unmask]> 7/31/2012 8:12 PM >>>

Somehow I missed your original post asking for info. The SBMA does let
members borrow as benefit of membership.  We do restrict the borrowing
of some books, such as catalogues raisonnés, and very rare, or huge
books. When a member borrows for the first time we have a dialogue about
how each book is a museum asset, and what our policies are.  Borrowing
time is 2 weeks. We have actually had several people join the museum
motivated by this fringe benefit.  It makes me nervous, but some of our
permanent staff are more delinquent than the members!

Heather Brodhead
Librarian
Constance & George Fearing Library
Santa Barbara Museum of Art                www.sbma.net
1130 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
(805) 884-6451

Library open to the public Tue, Wed, Thu 1-5 PM;
  Librarian's hours 10-noon; 1-5:30 on those days.