Hello Collective Wisdom,

I am advising a small art organization on developing a small digital collection.  I'm trying to lead them to implement a DAMS.

They are also talking to a Filemaker Pro consulting firm about managing all of their business — donors, artists, employees, sales, inventory, etc.  The Filemaker Pro people are saying that all the data about their assets, including Dublin Core metadata, can be stored in one FMP database that talks to a MySQL database.  They are contributing some images, but not all their digital images, to a consortium using ContentDM.  They want the FMP database to provide the data (exported to excel) to be ingested by the consortium's ContentDM.

It seems to me that this is a bad idea.  What are the reasons this is so?  Does it partly have to do with validation of data? Could they store metadata temporarily in the FMP database before they develop a proper DAMS?  The digital images can't be stored there.  How would that work?  How can I explain this?  Can anyone help?

Thank you—quick replies would be much appreciated.

Susan Chute
Art Librarian