Hello ARLIS/NA Membership:
If you are wondering if VirCon is something from the Jetsons, it sorta is!
This past fall, then ARLIS/NA President Jon Evans asked me to build upon the results of our successful webinar series developed by the Professional Development Committee and Education Subcommittee, to see if we could put in place a VIRtual CONference for the membership in the next few years. We all know the technology is available, that dwindling travel budgets can make conference attendance hard, and that even if you get to the conference, you don't get to see everything you want. Larger library organizations are already running successful virtual conferences that augment their live conferences and reach those who may not be able to travel.
I agreed to take on this task and am now chairing the Virtual Conferencing Advisory Group with four additional members, including Meredith Kahn, Elizabeth Lane, Elizabeth Morris and Mark Pompelia. Since January, we've been looking at what other library organizations do for virtual conferences and are trying to determine a model that best works for ARLIS/NA members, in ease of technology, content and pricing. Soon, we'll be talking to a lot of you-particularly if you have served on a Conference Planning Committee in the past or serve for 2013 and 2014. We'll also be releasing a short survey to the membership next week that we hope you'll take the time to answer. Overall, we feel that the amazing content our conferences yield, combined with the wonderful talents of our members, can be showcased to a wider audience, perhaps expanding our membership base. The work of the VirCon Advisory Group directly ties to the fifth goal of the Society's new strategic plan. That goal is to "Strengthen the Society's Communication and Operational Infrastructure" with "[to] continually explore ways in which to enhance the Society's virtual presence through its website and other social media" as a main objective.
If you have any questions, suggestions or needs concerning this, please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. I'm always glad to hear you!
All the best, Sarah

Sarah Falls
Chair, ARLIS/NY
Chair, Virtual Conferencing Advisory Group, ARLIS/NA

Director of the Library
New York School of Interior Design
170 East 70th Street
New York, New York 10021