Dear ARLIS/NA Members,

Can it really be possible that two and a half months have elapsed since we met in Toronto?  While it’s a cliché to marvel at the fleeting nature of time, I think I can confidently assume that for all of us the dizzying pace of technology and e-communications in the library world makes our days pass too quickly.  Now, paradoxically, the longest day of the year, Summer Solstice, looms as an ancient reminder of time’s passage.  Those of you in academic surroundings are catching your breathing at the end of the semester, while all of us are no doubt making plans for summer projects at work, and hopefully for some leisure time in the months ahead.  Some great developments have transpired at ARLIS/NA since I was last in contact; I want to share them with you, to bring you up to date with our progress.

I am pleased to announce that ARLIS/NA has renewed its contract for management services with Technical Enterprises Inc.  TEI, based in Wisconsin, has been managing myriad functions of our society since 2009 and will now continue to provide those services, which include membership renewals and records, administrative and financial management, conference planning and implementation, advertising and sponsorship support, design and printing services, secure data storage, Executive Board support, and communications.  TEI has pledged to provide the very best service and will respond to your inquiries promptly.

After an extensive search, we now have a new Association & Conference Manager at TEI.  Guadalupe Rodriguez began her new position as ARLIS/NA Association Manager on June 11 and is moving very quickly to serve our Society and its members.   I had the pleasure of participating in the recruitment of Guadalupe and am delighted that she is our new manager.  Previous to her new position, Guadalupe was the Director of Special Events at La Casa de Esperanza in Waukesha, WI, where she planned, developed and executed all special events for them.  She was also Assistant to the President and CEO of La Casa where she served on the Board of Directors as liaison between the Board and La Casa and participated in strategic planning.  She gained experience in fundraising and marketing at the Wisconsin Hispanic Scholarship Foundation, where she was successful in increasing donations by 20% and worked on special events.  Guadalupe holds a Bachelor’s degree in International Business from the University of Guanajuato in Guanajuato, Mexico.  She attended the Non Profit Leadership Program at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and has begun studies for a Master’s degree.

Guadalupe’s contact information is on the ARLIS/NA Website.  Her email is <a href=[log in to unmask], and her direct phone number is (414) 768-8000 x136. Please join me in welcoming Guadalupe to our Society’s management team. I hope many of you will be able to work with her in the coming year. Paul Rossmann of TEI served as our Interim Conference & Association Manager over the past few months, and I thank him for his very capable support and help during this period. He will continue to be involved with ARLIS/NA while he works closely to train and assist Guadalupe in her new position. " v:shapes="_x0000_s1027">

By now, all of you have received the exquisite issue of Art Documentation in its new format.  Spring 2012 is the first issue published under our new arrangement with the University of Chicago Press.  One of the most important components of that publishing deal is the release of Art Doc as an e-journal.  All active members of ARLIS/NA receive free access to the e-journal.  That access is now in place through the ARLIS/NA website: http://www.arlisna.org/artdoc/index.html.  Enjoy!

The University of Chicago will offer ARLIS/NA members discounts to its journals.  Stay tuned for that offer to appear in the near future.

Meanwhile, things are always happening with ARLIS/NA.  I encourage you to visit the website often to keep up to date with the latest news.  Our website editor Nedda Ahmed and News Editor Carol Graney do a terrific job at keeping things fresh and relevant.  Why not go there right now?  You’ll see the latest book reviews, information about upcoming events like the SEI Institute and Scandinavian Study Tour, photos from Toronto, and an engaging profile of our colleague Eumie Imm-Stroukoff.

Finally, there is still time to propose a paper, session, or workshop for the 2013 conference in Pasadena.  If you have a good idea, just do it!  Here’s a link—you have until June 29. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PAS2013PapersSessions

I wish everyone a productive and satisfying summer ahead.  Let’s relish every minute of Wednesday’s longest day of the year, and for that matter, every day that follows.

With best regards,

Deborah Kempe

President, ARLIS/NA

www.arlisna.org

Chief, Collections Management & Access

Frick Art Reference Library

10 East 71st Street

New York, NY 10021

tel. 212.547-0658 ;  fax 212 547-0680

and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.