Hi,

One strategy is to locate books about the road and then to find illustrated copies, e.g.,

http://www.univie.ac.at/Anglistik/easyrider/data/litauthold.htm

One result:

http://www.heldfond.com/pages/books/8585/walt-whitman/song-of-the-open-road

Another example if less validated photographers are acceptable

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorianixon/6637845889/

Edward Weston received a Guggenheim (if memory serves) for a trip and photo series based on the entire Leaves of Grass. A book is available with the poem and photos.

If you throw in music, and album covers you get
http://www.amazon.com/Heading-West-Songs-Open-Road/dp/B001V3WCI8/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337722609&sr=1-1-spell

and quite a few more
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=songs+for+the+open+road&sprefix=songs+for+the%2Cpopular%2C126

Steve

Steve Tatum
Visual Resources Curator
Art and Architecture Library
Virginia Tech
[log in to unmask] May 22, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Ballmer, Amy wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I hope those of you with strong book arts and/or photography backgrounds can help me with this query. A student is writing a paper on the Ed Ruscha edition of On the Road and is looking for works of a similar nature for comparison. Do you know of any titles of literary works that deal with the concept of the road/on the road that are illustrated with photographs?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Amy
>
> Amy Ballmer
> Reference Librarian, Mina Rees Library
> The Graduate Center
> City University of New York
> 212.817.7059

> Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] For information about joining ARLIS/NA see:http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance:http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at:[log in to unmask]

Steve Tatum
Visual Resources Curator
Art and Architecture Library
100 Cowgill Hall (0206)