PRESS RELEASE

De Gruyter Appoints Renowned Academics to the New Editorial Board of the AKL Dictionary of Artists

Berlin, 3 May 2012 – The Allgemeine Künstlerlexikon (AKL) is an indispensable reference work in the field of art history. De Gruyter is proud to announce the appointment of several internationally renowned academics to the publication's new editorial board: Prof. Andreas Beyer, director of the German Forum for Art History in Paris; Prof. Wolf Tegethoff, director of the Central Institute for Art History in Munich; and Prof. Bénédicte Savoy of the Technical University of Berlin.

"We're pleased to have the opportunity to actively shape the future direction of this publication, which is an extremely important reference work in the field of art history, in accordance with the requirements of the field," Prof. Savoy said. "And we look forward to working with De Gruyter, a publishing house with an extremely rich tradition."

The new editorial board has been appointed as part of the publication's reorganization, which began last year. Alongside the continuation of the print edition in its traditional high quality, De Gruyter is working to expand the dictionary's online version, which spotlights current issues and trends in the field of art history.

We have sought out the very best editors in order to fulfill our quality expectations for the dictionary: namely, to address all time periods, cultures, and genres as they pertain to the visual arts, as well as to more specifically serve the needs of users," said Dr. Alexander Grossmann, Vice President of Publishing at De Gruyter. "The AKL will be a dynamic component of De Gruyters publication portfolio in the fields of art and architecture," Grossmann added.

"A key element of the new editorial approach is to open up the editorial process to an international circle of experts who will be invited to actively contribute," Prof. Beyer said during the first meeting of the editorial board in Berlin.

Author contact

Katja Richter

Editor

Telephone: +49 (0)30- 789 51 968

Press contact

Ulrike Lippe

Manager of Public Relations

Telephone: +49 (0)30-260 05 153

De Gruyter: The independent academic publishing house De Gruyter can look back on a history spanning over 260 years. The publishing group with headquarters in Berlin and Boston annually publishes over 800 new titles in the humanities, medicine, science and law and more than 230 journals and digital media. http://www.degruyter.com/