Hi Amy,

The closest comparison would probably be to Robert Frank's /The
Americans/, which originally appeared with a preface by Kerouac.  The
text is not as central as in the case of the Ruscha book, but it's one
of the great photo books of the twentieth century.

Other classics:
-James Agee and Walker Evans, /Let Us Now Praise Famous Men/, a "road"
story of a politically complex nature.
-Dorothea Lange and her husband Paul Taylor, /American Exodus: a Record
of Human Erosion /which combines photographs with transcripts of oral
interviews.
-Lee Friedlander, /America by Car.

Margaret English
/