Quite a few travel books from the turn of the 20th century were illustrated with photos,and roads were in photos illustrating many other literary works, though that may not be what the student is seeking.

Clifton Johnson was a photographer who might be of interest.
    http://archive.org/stream/highwaysbyways00johniala#page/n290/mode/1up

Many of the photos in his books were shot on roads, including roads, or from the road
    http://www.kellscraft.com/AlongFrenchByways/AlongFrenchBywaysContentPage.html

He also illustrated novels with photos of roads--here's one from Lorna Doone (Harper, 1900).  This book was in my 3rd catalog of publishers' bindings: 20 books in that catalog (of 300 books) were illustrated with photographs.

[log in to unmask]" border="1" height="611" width="400">

As for precursors to Ed Ruscha, though, I would look more to Japanese photo books of the late 19th century, or more significantly to their precursors, the ukiyo-e woodblock books, such as those of Hiroshige and Hokusai.  In particular, for the titles as well as the subject matter, I would suggest that in reference to  Ruscha's books like Twentysix Gasoline Stations the student look at such works as The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido Road or The Sixty Nine Stations of the Kisokaido. It puts Ruscha's work in a different perspective along the lineage of artists' books than some of the writers on the subject have suggested.

[log in to unmask]" alt="Kakegawa" border="1" height="398" width="600">

--
Richard
http://minsky.com