From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hylen, Elizabeth J.
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Redesigned website for The Corning Museum of Glass and The Rakow Research Library

The Corning Museum of Glass and The Rakow Research Library have launched a redesigned website at www.cmog.org . The site offers new content, increased access to the Museum and Library’s collections with new user-friendly features. The front page serves as a starting point to explore 35 centuries of glass art: the site now features thousands of videos, articles, images and resources on glass and glassmaking.

“The Corning Museum of Glass is the authority on glass, and we wanted to make as many of our resources available online as we could,” says Karol Wight, executive director. “We’ve made new digitized materials from our Library available…and are publishing articles that address glass from many angles. Visitors to our site can easily access information about glass at any level that interests them.”

The redesigned site provides a new integrated search function that allows visitors to access more than 200,000 records from both the Museum’s comprehensive collection of art and historical glass and the Rakow Research Library’s collection of archival and reference materials on the history of glass and glassmaking.

The Library collection ranges from medieval manuscripts to original works of art on paper to the latest information on techniques used by studio artists. You may wish to explore our collections by division: Archives, Auction Catalogs, Periodicals, Books, Trade Catalogs, Films & Videos, and Works on Paper; or by an “advanced catalog search” of our entire collection.

More than 30 years of images from the Museum’s prestigious annual journal, New Glass Review, are now available to view online for the first time within the Library’s OPAC.

The website also showcases present, upcoming, and past exhibitions, curated by Library staff and displayed at The Rakow Research Library. Exhibits focus on specific themes from the collection or complement exhibitions of Museum objects in the main Museum building.

Some of the highlights you’ll want to check out:

” An enhanced way to browse the collection. Search both the glass collection and the collection of the Rakow Research Library at the same time. Search by object, artist/maker, color, and more. In each record you’ll find information about related multimedia, publications and exhibitions.

” A new collection set feature. Save glass collections objects, articles, events, and media across the site into your own collection set. This is an excellent tool for research and sharing. Create public sets to share, or keep them private in your own account.

” An “All About Glass” section that includes more than 350 videos, 100 articles, and 225 digitized books from the Rakow Research Library, as well as glass term definitions and podcasts.

” More than 30 years of images from our annual journal, New Glass Review. Filter by artist, juror’s picks, technique, and more.

” An improved calendar that helps you plan a visit to CMoG. See the demonstration schedule for the day you’re visiting, as well as any exhibitions on view and special events taking place. Visit our mobile site to plan your visit on the go.

”Online registration for glassmaking classes at The Studio. Sign up and pay online in just a few convenient steps. It’s easy to find one that fits your needs: you can sort by level of experience, teacher, technique, and length of class.

The Museum partnered with IMA Lab, the media and technology group at the Indianapolis Museum of Art for the website redesign project. IMALab designed and developed the site, working on new solutions to bring the Museum’s various collections to the web.

We hope you’ll explore and let us know what you think. Simply use the feedback button you’ll find in the bottom right-hand corner on the website. Or contact us at the library: [log in to unmask].

Beth Hylen

Reference and Outreach Librarian

The Rakow Research Library

The Corning Museum of Glass