If you will be near Columbus, Ohio next Thursday, March 8, there will be
two free performances that are open to the public.

1:30 to 3:30 PM
The first is a critique workshop sponsored by Ohio State University,
with twelve participants presenting works of book art. They may be
artists, collectors, curators, dealers, or critics. We don't know until
then. I'll start with a short presentation of the "material meets
metaphor" critique process, a simple tool for evaluating work during the
creative process, for selecting work for exhibition or collecting, and
for writing criticism. Then we discuss each work. By the end of the
program everyone has a good idea about how to use this process for their
own purposes.

Although I have conducted this workshop many times, this is the first
that will be presented in front of an audience.

Book Critique Workshop
The Ohio State University
Thompson Library
Room 150 A&B
1858 Neil Avenue Mall
Thursday March 8
1:30–3:30 PM
http://events.nbc4i.com/columbus-oh/events/show/244295744-richard-minskys-book-critique-workshop

7 PM
The evening lecture is hosted by The Aldus Society, and will be an
illustrated presentation of Modernism on American publishers' bindings
from 1872 to 1930. More than just eye candy, these beautiful book covers
show a pervasive form of material culture that was taken for granted for
so long that nobody noticed it was art. There are many approaches to
collecting in this area, and it can begin with the books already on your
shelves. We will focus on examples that are years, and sometimes decades
ahead of art movements usually associated with their visual form.

Lecture: Modernism Came Home on Book Covers
The Aldus Society
Thurber Center
91 Jefferson Avenue
Thursday March 8, 7 PM