Good morning,

I was asked to share suggestions with the list. Thanks to everyone who replied to my query (I am looking for recommendations on public use machines that offer printing and scanning capabilities in b&w and color. We need the machine to be able to print from USB drives as well. We will also be attaching a card reader to the machine for payment purposes.)

Amy

Sharp MX3110N

I REALLY like our new Sharp MX3110N … multifunction machine with strong scanning features … save to USB, network, email; good assortment of image output options, including PDF/A if you need that; good design; quite.

Xerox WC7125PT

Xerox WC7125PT -This is a B&W and Color copier. I wish that it had a book edge, but Xerox doesn't have one with both color and an edge. One can get a USB, too. Ours will be attached to a card reader. I don't know if it's better, but the main library has this model and it works fairly well.

Canon Image runner 32451

We have a Canon Image runner 32451.  The printer scans, prints from a network server, and photocopies in b&w only.  I know that b&w and color models exist.  We didn't go with color because of the cost.  We've had this unit for six months.  It's a dependable workhorse and the quality of the copies it produces are very good.

Konica Minolta Bizhub

We too have the Bizhub, (C451 and 501)We work with executive color as the vendor and have a card machine attached, but the bizhubs can attach to student id’s, etc. Scanning (for us) goes to a central folder where students can pick up their pdf or tiff. It doesn’t scan to jpeg. There’s pluses and minuses and frankly, I’m going back to flatbeds at computers because we have so much scanning that goes on here beyond library needs.

We've recently gone through a copier RFP process for our copiers here at work (they are for staff-use only), however, we were looking at high-output machines, including the Konica Minolta Bizhub.  We ended up going with the Konica, although we have yet to use it, because it seemed like the most reliable machine with the easiest user interface.  A close second were Sharp color copiers.
If the quality of the color is of paramount importance, my understanding is that the Konica is the only machine with 8-bit color and that other copiers currently only produce 4-bit.  We felt the Sharp's color quality was close, but not quite as customizable, as the Konica's.  They also use plastic parts in the drawers, etc. while the Konica's are metal (for standing up to rough use, this was a selling point for us).
On the whole, though, Sharp came in a little cheaper but the Konica seemed like a better choice for us.  You might wish to consider Sharps as an option to test.

Amy Ballmer

Reference Librarian, Mina Rees Library

The Graduate Center

City University of New York