Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. As an artist who has loaned works to many library exhibitions, and as a curator who has organized exhibitions for libraries and other venues, I'd like to point out that every library and not-for-profit organization I have worked with in any capacity insured the works from arrival to departure, and insured the shipping when that was involved.

In 1973 one of my books was stolen from a university library exhibition, and although they paid the declared value, I have not forgotten. A collector of my work loaned a book to an exhibition and received it back damaged. There is no excuse for poor handling of a loaned work.  If it had not been insured, the institution would have been responsible for the full value of the work. Neither I nor any of my collectors would lend to an exhibition that required a liability release, and I would not advise any student or faculty member to do so.

If a small nfp like the Center for Book Arts can insure the works on loan for exhibitions, there is no reason that a library that is part of an academic institution should not. If the institution is large enough they may find it more economical not to pay for insurance, and to be self-insured, but they are still liable for proper care and security. Some institutions may mediate liability by having high deductible insurance, which in effect makes them a self-insurer for lower value items.

A liability release sends a terrible message to artists about the value of their work.

--
Richard
http://minsky.com

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
We are therefore planning on asking students and faculty to sign a liability release form before we install their work.