Judy,

The negative preview on a scanner will show a positive proof of black and white or color negatives. A flatbed scanner that handles transparencies would be the most efficient for bulk viewing of 35 mm negatives and probably the only economical choice for larger ones. Epson offers good flatbed photo scanners in a range of prices.

Alternatively, lay the negatives on a light table, photograph them with a digital camera, then reverse the values in imaging software.

Steve

Steve Tatum
Visual Resources Curator
Art and Architecture Library