Dear Colleagues,

I may have already asked this question a year or so ago, so please bear with me a minute.  I am talking with our head librarian about “a new reference collection.”  The purpose is to make room for more things that our Architectural Studies, Contemporary Art History Program, History of Art and Studio Art programs teach now.

I have moved many necessary older things into our stacks and we are now beginning to discuss what should go in the reference room for the programs above.

A couple of thoughts I have concerning contemporary art are:  adding some collection catalogs, the Art Now series and Architecture Now series, some very selective museum collection catalogs.  Even certain most important biennial catalogs.

Have any of you gone through this process or are you currently discussing this at your institutions?  I would love to hear all opinions.

Can any of you remind me if a fairly recent ARLIS session was done on this?

Also can anyone please remind of where a recent article appeared in Art Doc about contemporary art and vendors for African, Asian, etc. art?

Thanks so much for your help, Ray Anne

Bibliographer and Public Services Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice-mail:  412-648-2410
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."  Ezra Pound