At the Rakow Research Library of The Corning Museum of Glass, we used to use a 590 note to mention that objects were included in a publication. Last year, a web redesign project was begun, and it was desired to have links between our glass collections database (Mimsy) and our library system (Voyager). We created a 593 field in our Voyager system that is used solely to document these relationships. Here is an example:

(From BIB 18872    Title:   American glass now)

593   ‡a Includes CMoG objects: ‡n 73.4.51, ‡p p. 25 -- ‡n 73.4.15, ‡p p. 55 ‡a (#44) -- ‡n 73.4.71, ‡p p. 56.

In the initial ‡a, we use the standard phrase “Includes CMoG objects” (or object) when the images of our objects are published, and we use the standard phrase “Related to CMoG object” if we have design drawings for glass objects in the collection. The ‡n is the object accession number, the ‡p is the page on which the image was published, and a second ‡a is used to include additional information (illustration number, location on page, etc.). We string multiple objects together, separating them with the double dash, just like a 505 note.

On the collections database side, they have set aside a specific field in Mimsy for our Voyager bib number. The web browser will match the information between the two systems so that, if someone is browsing an object, electronic links to publications that have more information on that piece will be presented on the screen. The same will work for books; images of objects that are listed in the 593 field, along with electronic links to the collections database, will appear at the bottom of the screen.

We have been working diligently for months to add 593s to the Voyager records and Voyager bib numbers into Mimsy, and we will continue to do so with new acquisitions going forward. The redesign is almost ready to be rolled out; the beta version of our new web browser will be available on the Corning Museum of Glass website www.cmog.org soon. Once it’s up, try it out and let us know what you think.

Kelly Bliss

Cataloger

The Rakow Research Library

The Corning Museum of Glass