Colleagues--

Below is a message from our colleague at the KHI, Costanza Caraffa.  Please feel free to distribute or post to anyone who might be interested.

With thanks,
Jenni

--
Jenni Rodda, Curator
Visual Resources Collections

**************************

Dear Colleagues,

with this message I would like to call your attention to an initiative of our Institute: the "Florence Declaration. Recommendations for the Preservation of Analogue Photo Archives".

The aim of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz - Max-Planck-Institut in issuing this Declaration in German, English, Italian, French and Polish is to promote the fundamental significance of analogue photo archives for the future of the humanities and social sciences. Only the integration of analogue and digital formats can guarantee the sound conservation of the photographic heritage for future studies and at the same time creatively fulfil the potential of digital instruments.

Analogue photo archives are an integral part of our cultural heritage. The purpose of the "Florence Declaration" is to raise public awareness of this. It is aimed not only at photographic collections, university and scientific research, but also at decision-makers at the social and political levels.

For this we need your support! Every photographic collection and research project on photography is concerned. As an article in the Guardian of last week showed (http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/feb/23/tate-national-photographic-archive-rescued), the topic of photo archives is still a burning question and we have to act now.

The Declaration (attached to this message) can be subscribed with an email to [log in to unmask]
or through the internet pages of the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz. Here you will also find a regularly updated List of Subscribers. For further information consult the website: http://www.khi.fi.it/en/photothek/florencedeclaration/index.html.

Please subscribe and contribute to the diffusion of the "Florence Declaration".

Thank you and best wishes,
Costanza Caraffa

For more information on the Florentine Photothek, its projects and publications:
http://www.khi.fi.it/en/photothek/index.html
http://www.khi.fi.it/en/photothek/projekte/index.html
http://www.khi.fi.it/en/publikationen/imandorli/mandorli_Photo_Archives/index.html

Dr. Costanza Caraffa
Leiterin / Direttrice
Photothek des Kunsthistorischen Instituts in Florenz
- Max-Planck-Institut
Palazzo Grifoni Budini Gattai
Via dei Servi 51, I-50122 Florenz
Tel. 0039 - 055 - 216707