We are presently revising Museum wide accession policies and wonder how other Musuem Libraries manage their accessions.

While we do not plan to include general library book purchases in the registrarial records, we wonder at what point, rare books, special collections, manuscripts, art works and memorabilia should be added.

We will catalog all the materials in the Library OPAC.  Adding separate accession records for everything can comes our way, e.g. a collection of three historical photographs, or an individual letter, etc, would be administratively burdensome.

Wondering what kind of policies you wise ARLIS folk have in place, for example, do you have a value indicator...all things valued at more than say $5,000?

Grateful for your input.  thanks,

Barbara Mathe

Museum Archivist and Head of Library Special Collections

American Museum of Natural History