[cid:[log in to unmask]]

The Corcoran Library of the Corcoran Gallery and College of Art + Design is pleased to announce the launch of the Corcoran Archival Network for the Visual Arts (CANVAS).

CANVAS, built on CONTENTdm, will serve as the Corcoran Library's digital collections platform. Our collections will highlight the Corcoran's contributions to local, national, and international artistic and academic communities. In the future, appropriate collections will be synchronized with WorldCat and our local library catalog, making our digital collections more visible and discoverable to the world.

Initial priority has been given to the Corcoran College of Art + Design's Graduate Theses Collection. The Graduate Theses Collection showcases original research accomplished by graduate students at the Corcoran College of Art + Design. We have loaded about 80% of the theses at the Library, and will continue to add items on a regular basis. Our second priority is to develop a Corcoran Library Image Collection, shaped directly from student and faculty image needs, that will complement our subscriptions to image databases. Full-text access to theses and full size image access are restricted to our two Washington, DC campuses.

Future collections will both support the learning, teaching, and research goals of students, faculty, and staff, and highlight the Corcoran's contributions to the art world. Projects under consideration include documentation of our undergraduate senior theses, a digital collection catalog of the library's artists' books, and the Corcoran Biennial catalogs.

CANVAS can be accessed at http://canvas.corcoran.edu, http://canvas.corcoran.org, and through a forthcoming Digital Collections navigation link on the Corcoran Library website.  We ask for feedback on the look, feel, and functionality of the site, and are happy to answer any questions.

Sincerely,
Jacqueline Protka

--
Jacqueline L. Protka
Digital Assets Librarian & Media Coordinator