Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Fwd: College Art Association 2012 Adjustment

Greetings ARLIS/NA Members,

Since the information about VRA and ARLIS events at CAA was sent out, we have discovered an unfortunate scheduling conflict and decided to make an adjustment. There is a session that Chris Sundt has helped organize, in which the new VRA Fair Use Guidelines and other important copyright issues will be discussed, scheduled at the same time as the VRA Business Meeting. So, we have decided to CANCEL THE VRA BUSINESS MEETING AT CAA so everyone can attend this copyright discussion instead (I will be redirecting people and posting signage to this effect at CAA). I've copied the information Chris provided below and think you will find this to be a session well worth attending. I would like to sincerely thank Allan Kohl and Shilpa Rele, who were going to be at the VRA Business Meeting to discuss the VRA Fair Use Guidleines and ACRL Visual Literacy Standards, for their flexibility. Allan will be at the Copyright Session and on the architectural walking tour afterwards if you have additional questions about the Fair Use Guidelines. We hope to reschedule the visual literacy discussion at a future SoCal Chapter meeting, and of course, there will be a presentation on the ACRL Visual Literacy Standards during the VRA affiliate session on Thursday.

Similar to the other affiliate activities in the original email, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE REGISTERED FOR CAA to attend the Copyright Session. VRA's Thursday Session and the Saturday LA Conservancy walking tour of Historic Downtown will still be taking place as scheduled. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. Hope to see you in LA!

Best wishes,
Maureen Burns
VRA President

Here's the listing that appears in the CAA program and information about plans for the copyright session. The VRA guidelines hadn't been completed when this session was planned, but will now be prominently featured in this session:

CAA Committee on Intellectual Property
Give and Take: Copyright's Balancing Act
Saturday, February 25, 12:30 PM-2:00 PM
West Hall Meeting Room 515B, Level 2, Los Angeles Convention Center
Chairs: Christine L. Sundt, Visual Resources Journal; Doralynn Pines, Metropolitan Museum of Art, emerita; Jeffrey P. Cunard, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
"Give & Take: Copyright's Balancing Act." The purpose of the session is to discuss what the law gives to creators and users through basic provisions of the law and the many exemptions that are also written into the law and to consider why taking is not always something forbidden, wrong, or evil. In this session I propose that we cover various guidelines which could include the older DMCA and its effects on newer art technologies and the new best practices or guidelines that various subgroups are crafting. These include the documentary filmmakers, the AAMD (on thumbnails), ARL (academic and research libraries), SAA (archives), and the promised best practices guidelines from the VRA. We could also use the time to inform members about the revised CIP website which we are working on and which should be completed by then.

The College Art Association (CAA) conference will be held at the Los Angeles Convention Center from February 22nd to 25th.

From the CAA's website:
"Speakers and panelists will present their recent artistic projects and art-historical research, while others will talk about relevant issues in pedagogy, technology, publishing, and the academic workforce."

The CAA is the VRA's oldest affiliate society and this year marks the VRA's 30th anniversary and CAA's 100th.
We're planning a number of activities to celebrate this momentous year, including, a panel on the history of teaching with images, a business meeting and a walking tour with the LA Conservancy:

Thursday, February 23rd
12:30-2:00pm
Concourse Meeting Room 403A.
Paint, Prints and Pixels: Learning from the History of Teaching with Images

Chair: John Trendler, Scripps College

Revisioning Art History: How a Century of Change in Imaging Technologies Helped to Shape a Discipline
Allan T. Kohl, Minneapolis College of Art & Design

Light Explorations: Teaching 19th - 21st Century Intersections of Photographic, Scientific, and Digital Technologies
Sheila Pinkel, Pomona College

Pictures of Art History: The Getty Research Institute's Photo Study Collection
Anne Blecksmith and Tracey Schuster, The Getty Research Institute

New Challenges for a Digital Generation: An Information Literacy Approach to Teaching Visual Literacy
Joanna Burgess, Reed College; Ann Medaille, University of Nevada, Reno

Saturday, February 25th
12:30-2:00pm
Concourse Meeting Room 407
CANCELLED VRA Business Meeting CANCELLED
In addition to organizational updates, we plan to discuss the VRA's new Fair Use Guidelines and how VR curators might consider implementing ACRL's Visual Literacy Standards.

ARLIS/NA is also holding a session focused on image issues.

Friday, February 24th
5:30-7:00pm
West Hall Meeting Room 511BC, Level 2
Collaboration, Access, Sustainability: The Future of Image Research Collections

Chairs: Tony White, Indiana University Bloomington; Laura Graveline, Dartmouth College

Picturing the Future: Private Collections and Public Institutions
Inge Reist, Frick Art Reference Library

Digital Humanities and New Emerging Paradigms for Librarians
Ann Whiteside, Harvard University

The Evolution of Corporate-Personal-Public Image Collections: Implications for Research and Preservation
Andrea Copeland, Indiana University

Yours, Mine, and Our Common Cultural Heritage: Losing Control of Digital Visual Information
Joane Beaudoin, Wayne State University

Saturday, Feb 25th
2:30-4:30pm
Historic Downtown walking tour led by the LA Conservancy

The business meeting will be followed by a walking tour of "Historic Downtown" provided by the LA Conservancy.
Whether you attend the CAA affiliate events or not, anyone interested in the Historic Downtown walking tour led by the LA Conservancy should send their RSVP ([log in to unmask] or 310-489-3792) and check for $10 per person to Maureen Burns at 2174 W. Rockinghorse Road, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275 by FRIDAY, FEB 17th. Information forthcoming about meeting spot and other details. Everyone welcome.
After the tour we will be meeting casually for food and drinks.

In order to attend either the VRA or ARLIS activities (or any affiliate society 1.5hour sessions) you do not need to be a member or register for the conference.

More about the conference can be found here:
http://conference.collegeart.org/2012/

Full session information and schedules can be found here:
http://conferencecollegeart.org/2012/sessions/

Hope to see you there!

John M. Trendler
Curator of Visual Resources