Dear colleagues;

Below is a digest of the responses that I received over the use of or recommendation of iPhone apps with Studio Art students.  I received several responses and I have included them below along with my top choices.

Here are the apps that I have tried and like in addition to the ones listed below.  Most of these apps are for the iPhone, but many of them are also available on the iPad.  Some may also be available on Android platforms.

NotJot- a scanner with perspective adjuster

Pocket Portfolio - create a portfolio on the go and email it to others

Art - artwork and information on many famous artists

Camera + - camera for your iPhone with more advanced features

Filterstorm - minor editing of photos on your mobile device

Sketchbook Mobile X - create quick sketches and studies on your mobile device

Art Model 1&2 – CGI models in various poses.  Zoom and 360 view features. Similar to Art S. Buck models.

360 Anatomy for Artists (4 apps) – CGI full-body illustrations of skeletal, muscular and surface anatomy. 360 view features.   No zoom however.

Below are some websites and blogs that I consulted in putting together my list.  They have many other suggestions that I would like to try at some time.

10 best iPhone and iPad photo editing apps | News | TechRadar. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2011, from http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/10-best-iphone-and-ipad-photo-editing-apps-968267

Apps in Education: Art iPad Apps. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2011, from http://appsineducation.blogspot.com/p/art-ipad-apps.html

iPhone App Reviews by the Experts at Macworld | Macworld. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2011, from http://www.macworld.com/appguide/index.html

The 10 Best iPhone and iPad Apps for Art Teachers 2010 | The Teaching Palette. (n.d.). Retrieved December 9, 2011, from http://theteachingpalette.com/2010/12/13/the-10-best-iphone-and-ipad-apps-for-art-teachers-2010/

This might be a good topic for a wiki.

Rick

Dear Colleagues,

I wasn't looking for an answer to the question posted earlier today, but was looking at web sites for art fairs (vs. biennials).  I noticed that Art Basel and Scope fairs have apps for smart phones.  Ray Anne Lockard

The apps or sites I recommend for our Dickinson Art Studio (and Art History) majors are:

for production--

Socialcam

DerManDer--I think it's 1.99 now, but used to be free (takes panoramas)

PS Express

Instagram

Vimeo

Skitch (not yet produced for anything less than OS 10.6.6) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skitch/id425955336?mt=12

for research--

Google Search

Smithsonian

MoMA

PBS

Flickr

ArounderTouch

Getty Images

BKmuseum

SFMOMA

HAMMER

Louvre

Netflix

Vimeo

Dickinson

for iPad--

Met Buncheong (MMA Korean ceramics)

recommended sites--

Artstor mobile--for flashcard view

access ceramics

WorldImages

Web Gallery of Art

Sistine Chapel (QTVR site)

List of apps I use and like (needs to be updated): http://dcaaheventsblog.wordpress.com/2011/08/30/mobile-apps-that-i-like/

If you have any apps that you like, or if you make a list, I would love to see it--there's always something new out there!

Cheers and all best,

Jen

Jennifer Kniesch, MA & MLIS
Visual Resources Librarian
Dickinson College
Art and Art History Department
PO Box 1773
Carlisle, PA 17013
717/ 245-1374

Hi Richard,

If a school has a subscription to Bridgeman Education with nearly 400,000 images, there is a great free iPhone app that comes along with it to all students and faculty at the subscribing institution.  For a free trial, just contact me.

Wendy

Wendy Zieger

Bridgeman Education Sales

www.bridgemaneducation.com

65 East 93rd Street

New York, NY  10128

Hi,

I’ve never reviewed it though I have recommended the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek’s Oriental MSS app: http://www.bsb-muenchen.de/App-Oriental-Books-Oriental-Treasures-of-the-Bavarian-Sta.3026+M57d0acf4f16.0.html.

Sean

Islamic Studies Liaison Librarian

Bibliothèque McGill Library

Information | Innovation | Service

514.398.6787

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email, or its attachments, may contain private, confidential or privileged information of Shorter University and is for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, disclosure, or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error or you are not the intended and authorized recipient, please notify the sender and permanently delete all copies of the respective email and its attachments without reading them. Thank you for your cooperation.