I'm considering offering reference chat /IM service for the Architecture Library, a branch library in which I am the only professional librarian, and I'm wondering if others have experiences doing so in similar situations. The main library here operates chat reference through the reference desk and I've seen how it works at that scale, but I'm specifically interested in chat experiences in smaller operations. Has it been worthwhile? Are you overwhelmed, or underwhelmed, with queries? Are there any difficulties with service hours since you aren't available all day to chat? Other challenges or rewards?

If you email me directly I will summarize the replies and post to the list in case others are interested.

Thanks,
Amy
Amy Trendler
University Libraries...A destination for research, learning, and friends
Architecture Librarian
Ball State University       765-285-5858
Muncie, IN 47306         [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

The University Libraries provide services that
support student pursuits for academic success
and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation
and classroom instruction.

http://www.bsu.edu/library