Book by Book is Bruce Silverstein Gallery’s first solo exhibition by the artist Keith Smith. Smith has been creating books as works of art since the 1960s, yet he has rarely shown his work to the public over the past twenty-five years.   We would like to take this opportunity to familiarize you with his work.

Click here to view Book 11, Up, by Keith Smith

For Smith, his work is a form of creative articulation whereby the act of making the book—the binding, printing method, page materials and textures that comprise the form, content, and structure of the book are chosen to most adequately express the artist’s original inspiration or personal challenge.  His works address the recurring themes of love and desire and reveal the artist’s efforts to reckon with his sexual identity.

This show is a mini-retrospective comprised of 30 books, all made between 1967 and 2010, which reveals the artist's interest in experimenting with new materials and processes. He designs books that allow the viewer to experience and question of the structure and very nature of the book itself. Often his books are made of string or covered in fabric, they unfold, illuminate, do not open, are unbound, or punched full of holes.   While a single book might be guided by one idea or one particular interest, when the viewer examines the artist’s complete body of work—currently over 280 books—images of certain people and places reappear, and Smith’s voice begins to emerge.

Click here to view a video of Book 27 by Keith Smith                           Click here to view Book 21 by Keith Smith

Smith was educated at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and the Institute of Design at the Illinois Institute of Technology.  He has taught at the Visual Studies Workshop, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and the University of Illinois.  He is a recipient of two Guggenheim Fellowships, and a National Endowment of the Arts grant and a Pollock/Krasner Foundation grant.

For additional details about the artist and his work, please visit our website: http://www.brucesilverstein.com/artist.php?id=242

We would be delighted if you are able to visit our gallery while the exhibit is on view (through January 7, 2012), but of course, if we can provide you with any further information in the meantime, please let us know.

Bruce Silverstein Gallery
535 West 24th Street
New York, New York 10011
[P]212-627-3930