**forwarded from the H-TURK list <http://www.h-net.org/~turk>
---------------------------------
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:46:11 +0200
From: Maximilian Hartmuth <[log in to unmask]>

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to inform that the Netherlands Institute in Turkey (NIT) has recently launched a project for the digitization of the photographic archive of Machiel Kiel.

Many of you will already be familiar with this Dutch historian's pioneering work on the Balkan region's rich Ottoman architectural heritage. The aim of the database, which will be the final product of this project, is to make available to the scholarly public a vast photographic archive that has been built up by Prof. Kiel in the past 50 years. It thus includes visual documentation of monuments that have been significantly altered or have completely disappeared since. The NIT and Prof. Kiel hope that the digitization of this archive will contribute to providing the infrastructure for a renewed interest in the study of this region's heritage, which remains little known and insufficiently studied.

We are committed to making available to researchers the digitized archive as swiftly as possible. While its eventual publication online shall be announced on this list, we are also happy to respond to your inquiries until then.

Best regards,

Maximilian Hartmuth, Ph.D.
Curator of the archive

* For further information on related projects at the NIT, see also
http://www.nit-istanbul.org/nitpublications.htm and
http://www.nit-istanbul.org/nitprojectsKiel.htm