Marianne,

I will be happy to summarize any replies for the list.  I have found that the “concept” of allowing depts. control over their part of the website isn’t the only answer – Some depts. will take the initiative, yet others never accept ownership for their part.  This is the dilemma – trying to ensure that standards are met and all departments are engaged in the process!  Good luck!

Cheryl Payne

MFAH The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

From: Marianne Cavanaugh [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:04 AM
To: Payne, Cheryl
Subject: FW: [ARLIS-L] Web services organizational model

If you receive any more replies, could you summarize for the list?  Our web technologies and resources is a mixture at the moment.  The External Affairs hosts it, and we have to approach them to add, change, delete, anything on the Museum’s website.  However, they rely on Information Technologies (IT) to do the “heavy-lifting.”

For example:  Education contracted with a design firm to develop a teaching web-site to accompany our current exhibition on “Monet’s Water lilies.”  The show opened in October—the site was completed in November and is ready to load onto the Museum’s website.  IT may have time to do this before the show closes in January.

IT is focused on implementing a new web product, which should allow several depts. control over their part of the website.

External Affairs just got a new manager who is beginning a inquiry process, and we are entering a strategic planning process in 2012—it may get interesting.

Sorry that I can only supply a dysfunctional model!

Marianne Cavanaugh

Saint Louis Art Museum